The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid announced on December 15th that any American who lives in a state that relies on the Federal Marketplace (FFM) will have until December 17th to enroll in a health insurance plan that will start on January 1st. See below for a list of states with extensions or SEPs as they are also called.
This means that if you want new coverage by January 1st or you are losing your existing coverage on January 1st and you were unable to enroll by the December 15th deadline, you have 48 more hours to get your application submitted. You may enroll either directly with Healthcare.gov or through a broker or agent, either online or by phone, who can complete enrollment for you.
Definitely want health insurance coverage by January 1, 2016? Fill out the enrollment form below to get health insurance or feel free to call one of our trusted partners’ licensed agents who can enroll you in a plan over the phone.
Federal Marketplace states with extension to December 17th for a January 1st start date:
|Indiana||State Uses Own Exchange Marketplace||109,839|
State Exchange extensions for a January 1st start date:
- Massachusetts – New deadline is December 23rd for January 1st start date
- Rhode Island – New deadline is December 23rd for January 1st start date
- Washington State – New deadline is December 23rd for January 1st start date
- Minnesota – New deadline is December 23rd for a January 1st start date
- Colorado – If you started an application for health insurance by December 15th but were unable to finish, the State Exchange will work with you to get you enrolled for a January 1st start date. Also, if you were going to enroll in Colorado HealthOp, Access Health Colorado and some Rocky Mountain Health Plans, the new deadline is December 31st for a January 1st start date
- Tennessee – consumers who had Community Health Alliance health insurance in 2015 will have until December 31st to enroll in a new health plan with a January 1st start date
- New York – New deadline is December 19th for a January 1st start date
- Maryland – New deadline is December 18th for a January 1st start date if consumer started application by December 15th
- California – New deadline is December 17th for a January 1st start date